Invisalign Treatment in Ponte Vedra Beach
Invisalign® is the clear way to straighten teeth without braces, using aligners. Aligners are removable and virtually invisible, which means you can straighten your teeth without anyone knowing; and you can still eat and drink what you want. Also, you can brush and floss normally to maintain healthy gums and teeth; and there are no wires, metal or brackets to cause mouth abrasions.
Many of our patients had never considered traditional braces but are now happily and comfortably improving their smiles with Invisalign®.
What Is Invisalign?
- An invisible way to straighten your teeth without braces.
- A series of clear, removable, custom-made aligners.
- Uses no metal wires or brackets.
- Custom-made for comfort.
How Does Invisalign Work?
- Patients wear each set of Aligners for about two weeks.
- Only remove the aligners to eat, drink, brush, and floss.
- Your teeth will move gradually each week.
- You visit us every 4-6 weeks.
- Total treatment time averages 6-15 months, and the average number of aligners used is between 12 and 30.
For Adult Patients
- Adult patients typically visit their doctor once every six weeks or so to ensure that treatment is progressing as planned, and to receive their next few sets of aligners.
- Adults are often looking to improve their smile for business or social reasons.
- Adults often feel that teeth straightening is too much trouble, too embarrassing, or too disruptive, so they forego any treatment. Invisalign is an ideal solution for adults to straighten their teeth and achieve a beautiful smile in a reasonable amount of time with no feelings of self- consciousness during treatment (as the aligners are nearly invisible) and only minimal impact on the patient’s busy schedule.
- Adults want to feel confident that they look their best. Invisalign allows adult patients to feel confident throughout the entire treatment process. Even though the results would be the same with traditional braces, adults just don’t feel comfortable with the thought of having metal in their mouths.
- Adults want a subtle solution, and Invisalign aligners provide the best of both worlds. They are virtually invisible when worn and removable when needed.
- While many adults look at straightening their teeth for cosmetic reasons, it's important to know that straighter teeth and a proper bite can be beneficial to your overall periodontal health.
For Teenage Patients
- Invisalign Teen effectively straightens teeth just as well as metal braces do, and is an ideal choice for active teens.
- Invisalign Teen was developed with leading orthodontists who understand the unique treatment and compliance needs of teens as well as their active lifestyles
- Invisalign Teen works the same way as traditional metal braces – gradually applying force to teeth to move them toward the final desired position over time.
- Every patient’s needs are different and there are many factors that determine the cost of Invisalign treatment. In most cases, Invisalign is comparable in cost to traditional braces, is covered by most dental insurance plans, and affordable financing options are available.
- Invisalign’s treatment capabilities are not limited to mild or cosmetic cases. Invisalign can help correct a broad range of cases including overly crowded teeth, widely spaced teeth, crossbite, overbite, and underbite.
- As with any medical procedure, consider getting a second opinion if you (or your teen) are told that you are not a candidate for Invisalign. Not all dentist and orthodontists are certified Invisalign providers.
- Invisalign treatment is ideal for busy parents because there are never any emergency appointments from broken wires or brackets. Invisalign often requires fewer appointments than traditional metal braces because you get your sets in advance and each visit requires little “chair time.”
- There are nearly two million Invisalign cases either in progress or completed worldwide (10-15% of these are performed on teens).
- Research shows that teen patients are very compliant, but in the event aligners are misplaced, Invisalign provides six free replacement aligners.
Benefits of Straightened Teeth
Straight teeth help an individual to effectively bite, chew, and speak. Straight teeth contribute to healthy teeth and gums. Properly aligned teeth and jaws may alleviate or prevent physical health problems. Teeth that work better also tend to look better. An attractive smile is a pleasant “side effect” of orthodontic treatment.
An attractive smile is a wonderful asset. It contributes to self-esteem, self-confidence and self- image – important qualities at every age. A person's self-esteem often improves as orthodontic treatment brings teeth, lips, and face into proportion. In this way, orthodontic treatment can benefit social and career success, as well as improve a person’s general attitude toward life.
Whether you’re getting Invisalign for yourself or your teenager, it’s important that you feel confident and knowledgeable about the process. If you have any questions or doubts, let us know right away; we’ll make sure you have a clear, complete understanding of the situation before you’re asked to make any kind of decision. To help you get started, here are the answers to a few questions that many patients have on their minds when considering Invisalign.
What Kind of Orthodontic Problems Can Invisalign Correct?
Invisalign is often offered as a way to straighten your smile, which benefits both your oral health and appearance. However, other types of corrections can be made as well. In particular, the aligners can move teeth that are crowded together or spaced too far apart; these adjustments can balance the bite and make your oral hygiene routine much easier. Also, if your bite is misaligned in anyway (whether that means an overbite, underbite, crossbite, or open bite), Invisalign could correct the issue. Bear in mind that the effectiveness of clear aligners will be affected by how complex the problem is. During your examination, Dr. Townsend or Dr. Harth will need to decide whether or not you’re a viable candidate for Invisalign?
What Should I Do If My Aligners Break?
If your Invisalign aligners become broken or cracked, check the damage; if the appliance is still intact and can be worn normally, it may be possible to simply continue your treatment as if nothing happened. Sometimes, though, the damage might be more extensive, rendering the aligners unusable. If that happens, call us right away to ask about next steps; depending on when the aligner was broken, we may recommend that you move on to the next one in the series. In other cases, you’ll instead wear a previous aligner until a new one is made.
Will Invisalign Change the Way I Talk?
Some patients are concerned that Invisalign will affect their speech, but in reality, the impact will be very, very small; in fact, it’s possible that you won’t notice any changes at all! It is possible that you’ll develop a lisp for the first couple of days, but this should pass once the mouth and tongue have had a chance to get used to the aligners. You can speed up this process by practicing the pronunciation of certain words; you may also find it helpful to read aloud.
Is Invisalign Comfortable?
Unlike metal brackets and wires that prod against the soft tissues in your mouth, Invisalign clear aligners are made out of smooth plastic, and they fit very snugly around the teeth. They may feel different at first, but once you get used to them, you’ll hardly notice them throughout the day. It’s normal to notice some soreness after getting new aligners; let us know if this discomfort lasts longer than it should.
Can You Receive Invisalign After Wearing Braces?
It’s entirely possible to get Invisalign after a previous orthodontic treatment. In fact, some patients switch to Invisalign to straighten their teeth after using braces to correct a more severe issue. Of course, we’ll need to examine your smile before planning such treatments.