Root Canal Therapy in Ponte Vedra Beach
Our doctors at Ponte Vedra Complete Dentistry are thoroughly trained to provide root canal therapy to the residents of Ponte Vedra Beach and the surrounding communities. Root canal therapy is a procedure that extracts decayed pulp from the central part of the tooth, reshapes the canal, and replaces it with strengthening filler.
The pulp is a lifeline for the tooth. The pulp is located in the center of a tooth and delivers blood supply and nerve supply to the tooth. Cavities are the result of superficial decay of the enamel of the tooth. It is by all means an infection. Left long enough, this decay can burrow into the deeper reaches of the tooth, causing extensive damage to tooth structure. When the infection reaches the pulp, often the damage is irreversible. The pulp requires removal at that point. The dentist can perform a root canal (or endodontics), preserving the tooth and retaining its original integrity; therefore, this saves a tooth that in the past would have to have been pulled.
What Happens During The Procedure?
- The patient is given a local anesthetic to numb the area.
- An access hole is made into the tooth to allow for removal of infected or dead dental pulp.
- The tooth is comprehensively cleaned, including any cracks and canals.
- With special tools, the doctor reshapes the canals.
- The tooth is filled again with cutting edge biocompatible filling material.
- A temporary covering is used to cover the access opening.
- Upon completion, a permanent restoration is placed.